Making Democracy Work



Important dates and deadlines

Primary Election - Early Voting Saturday, June 12th - - Sunday Jun 20th, 2021

Primary Election Tuesday, June 22, 2021 6:00am-9:00pm

General Election - Early Voting Saturdaty, October 23rd - Sunday, Oct 31st, 2021

General Election Tuesday, November 2, 2021 6:00am-9:00pm

Find your polling place for the here:

For any questions regarding your ballot contact your County Board of Elections office.

Broome County Board of Elections, 607-778-2172

Tioga County Board of Elections, 607-687-8261

Registration by mail: Forms are available from your county Board of Elections, town and city halls, post office, and various state agency offices. Registration in person: You may register at your Board of Elections.

Registration by mail: Forms are available from your county Board of Elections, town and city halls, post offices, and various state agency offices. Registration in person at your County Board of Elections.

CHANGE OF ADDRESS If you are already registered, it must be received by your Board of Elections by October 15th to vote in the general election.

Registration, Change and Absentee Voting Deadlines: The current year at>election calendar lists deadlines for applications.

For a detailed official political calendar, including information on military absentee ballots, click on <a election calendar

Register to Vote

Are you registered to vote? Do you want to change your party, your address, your name?


To Vote You Must:

Be a United States Citizen;

Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you wish to file your voter registration form;

NOTICE!: You MUST be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote;

Live at your present address for at least 30 days before that election; and BE REGISTERED TO VOTE;

Are not in prison or on parole for a felony conviction;

Are not adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;

Are not claiming the right to vote elsewhere.

HOW TO REGISTER: In person at your county board of elections or at any New York State agency-based voter registration center or by mail.

Your registration is permanent unless you have moved. Name, address or party changes can be made by submitting a new registration application to your county board of elections.

(Change of party enrollment goes into effect after the following general election.)

If you register by mail, registrations must be received by the board of elections at least 25 days before election day.

Registration by Mail: Forms are available from the web site of the New York State Board of Elections (, your county board of elections, town and city halls, post office, political parties, various state offices, and the League of Women Voters. You may obtain a Registration form here Registration Form or download a form and information from the NYS site. Adobe Reader is needed.

Registration in Person: You may register at your local board of elections or at any state agency participating in the National Voter Registration Act, on any business day throughout the year.

What if You Move? Notices of change of address from registered voters received by your county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records for the general election. Under the provisions of the National Voter Registration Act, if you move within your county and have not had the opportunity to notify the board of elections, you can go to the polling place in your new location and vote by affidavit ballot. This ballot will be sent to the board of elections which verifies the new address. Once verified, the vote will be counted and the change of address noted.

If you have a driver's license or motor vehicle registration and need to file a form with the Department of Motor Vehicles to change your address, you can notify the Board of Elections of your address change at the same time by checking "yes" for that option on DMV's Form MV 2323. You can change your address, party affiliation or name online at

Not Sure if You Are Registered? Call your county board of elections - Broome (607)778-2172 or Tioga at (607) 687-8261.

Don't Know Where to Vote? Local Boards of Elections across New York State send a postcard noting that you are registered and telling you the location of your polling place. If you do not receive this postcard, call your county board of elections - Broome (607)778-2172 or Tioga (607) 687-8261 - to verify your registration and the location of your polling place.

Not Going To Be Home on Election Day? Can't Get to the Polls? You Need an ABSENTEE BALLOT.

Registration and Absentee Voting Deadlines: The current year election calendar lists deadlines for applications.

If you are a registered voter but will be away from your county on Election Day or will be unable to go to your polling place because of illness or disability, you can request an absentee ballot from your county board of elections or download one from the New York State Board of Elections Web site. You may download an Absentee Ballot here. <ahref="">Absentee Ballot

Upon completion, absentee ballot applications must be either mailed or submitted in person to your county board of elections. Once received and approved, your county board of elections will mail or give the ballot to you.

Military voters: Your county board of elections must receive the absentee ballot application from military persons who have not previously registered. Both the federal government and New York State have recently enacted laws that make it easier for military voters and their family members to vote in a timely and efficient manner. You will have a choice to receive forms and ballots by electronic means, and enough lead time to be sure that you receive forms and ballots in time to meet election deadlines. Call the NYS Board of Elections at 1-800-438-8683, consult your Voting Assistance Officer on base, or visit for forms and instructions.

At the Polling Place: A sample ballot is posted. If you do not know how to use the voting machine, ask one of the election inspectors for assistance. If your name does not appear in the polling book and you believe you are eligible to vote in the district, you may vote by affidavit paper ballot. After validation by your county board of elections, your paper ballot will be counted.

College Students: When you are attending college outside your hometown, you may vote in person or by absentee ballot in your home community. You must be registered in your hometown district to vote there. You can only claim the right to vote in one locality. If you attend college in New York State, consider yourself resident of your college community, and have lived there for at least 30 days before an election, you may register and vote in that community, but NOT elsewhere. If you are from New York State and attend college in another state and consider your college community your residence, consult the elections authority of that state to determine your voting rights.

What do I need to know when I get to the polling place?

If you are not on the rolls at your polling place, but believe you are registered to vote, and have verified with the poll worker that you are at the correct polling location for your address, you are legally entitled to vote on an affidavit (paper) ballot. You should ask the poll worker for advice about following up on your status. After validation by your county board of elections, your affidavit ballot will be counted. If you determine you are in the the wrong polling location, go to the correct one and vote.

What is an affidavit ballot? Sometimes called a provisional ballot or paper ballot, is used when a voter's name has been omitted from the computer-generated poll (roll) book. If you need to use one, you must swear that you are a registered voter, and must provide your current and previous addresses, At a primary election, you must include the party in which you are enrolled.

You may need to show I.D. Federal law requires persons who registered by mail and are voting for the first time may be asked to provide identification, either on the Voter Registration Form or in person at the polling place. Identification usually means a current driver's license or the last four digits of your social security number. If you do not have either of these, you may provide a copy of a valid photo ID, or a current utility bill, bank statement, government check or some other government documentation that shows your name and address.

Look at the signs at the polling place for directions on how to use the voting machines, a list of your voting rights, and instructions for filing a complaint if your rights have been violated.

You probably won't have to wait too long. But even if the line is long, don't leave without voting.

How do I use the voting machines?

NYS implemented new voting machines in 2010. You will be voting using paper ballots and optical scanning equipment; the old lever machines will not be in use. NYS has a paper ballot back up system.

You will be given a pre-printed paper ballot with a "privacy sleeve" (which allows poll workers to help you, if necessary, without being able to read your ballot). You will go to a "privacy booth" to mark your choices with a designated marking tool. Be careful to read and follow the directions about marking the ballot. You will take the marked ballot to the assigned optical scanning equipment and feed the ballot into the scanner for tabulation.

If you have made a procedural mistake, such as voting for too many candidates in one race, your ballot will be rejected and you may request a new one. Or you may submit the original again and ask the machine to cast that ballot, knowing your vote in the race in question will not be counted. The screen on the machine will inform you when your ballot has been cast successfully.

Your paper ballot is securely stored in the machine after scanning. There is provision on the paper ballot for write-in candidates.

The equipment is simple to use, and poll workers have been trained to assist voters in using it; be sure to request their assistance if you are not clear about the new process.

Voters who need to because of disability, or who wish to, can mark their ballots with a ballot marking device (BMD) as described in the section below.

To see the machines and how they operate go to the NYS Board of Election's equipment information website at

I need to use the ballot marking device(BMD).

How do I do that?

Individuals with disabilities who cannot mark a paper ballot (and any other voter who wishes to) can use the ballot marking device (BMD) to create a marked paper ballot for casting their votes. This equipment assists the disabled voter through special interfaces, features and accessories. Tell the poll worker that you would like to use the BMD and what accessibility options you will need; they are trained to help you. If you are marking your ballot with the BMD you will follow a process similar to those marking their ballot in the privacy booth: you will check in and be handed either a pre-printed or blank paper ballot with a privacy sleeve, will place it into the BMD, and will mark it using the BMD accessible interfaces. The machine will display the ballot choices, and, when you are satisfied, the BMD will print the completed ballot out into its privacy sleeve. Then you will scan the ballot as described above. On some BMD machine models, the marked ballot is automatically scanned and counted from the BMD or is automatically stored after printing without transporting it. Poll workers can help you with scanning and submitting the ballot. YOUR BALLOT IS SECRET. Only you will know how you voted.

For TDD/TTY, call the New York State Relay 711


Elections are held in both even-and odd-numbered years. In every even-numbered year (2004, 2006, etc.) New York State citizens elect, to two-year terms: <ul type=disc>
  • all members of the U.S. House of Representatives who represent us in Washington

  • all members of the New York State Assembly and Senate who represent us in Albany.

  • In every other even-numbered year (2004, 2008, etc.) ballots are cast for President and Vice President of the United States.

    In even-numbered non-presidential years (2002, 2006, etc.) New York State citizens elect:

    • Governor and Lieutenant Governor

    • Comptroller

    • Attorney General

    U.S. Senators, who represent New York State in Washington, are elected to six-year terms in some even-numbered years (2004, 2006, etc.)

    Ballots are cast for local town, city, and village officials in either even- or odd-numbered years as prescribed by their charters. Some local elections are also held in March.

    For additional information, contact your local Board of Elections:

    Broome County Board of Elections County Office Building, Second Floor PO Box 1766, Binghamton, NY 13902 607-778-2172

    Tioga County Board of Elections 1062 State Route 38, PO Box 306, Owego, NY 13827 607-687-8261

    For a Voter Registration Form click here> Registration

    For an Absentee Ballot Form click here> Absentee

    For a Military Absentee Ballot Form click here> Military Absentee

    Requires an Acrobat Reader, If you do not have one, obtain it for no cost at

    To find Broome County election information including your polling place, list of officials, list of officials with terms expiring, and election results

    click on <ahref="">Broome County Board of Elections

    To find Tioga County election information including your polling place, list of County officials, and election results

    click on

    To find NYS State election information click on NYS Board of Elections

    How do candidates get on the ballot?

    Local Candidates

    Most candidates get on the ballot by filing a petition containing a specified number of signatures of members of their political party as determined by the New York State Election Law. Once their petitions have been certified their names are placed on the ballot.

    Broome County Board of Elections: Once available, Statewide and local candidates can be found here:

    Tioga County Board of Elections: Once available, Statewide and local candidates on the Tioga County ballot, click on

    Check the sample ballots for the general election to obtain candidate information.

    State and National Candidates

    State wide candidate data is available from the Board of Elections NYS at Search the page for "state ballot" to see the latest certified candidates for an upcoming election.